Model: Ibanez S520 – Blackberry Sunburst
Music genre / Additional gear
This S model has a versatile tone, allowing you to play almost everything, from blues to heavy metal. It has a nice clean tone on the Neck pick-up, well suited for ballads and a cutting overdrive tone on the Bridge pick-up for the riffing part. We tested this model on a Peavey Bandit 112, 100 W Combo Amp and afterwords we switched to some higher quality Amp, like the Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo Tube Amp. You can get a nice sound with some additional analog pedals, MXR M234 Analog Chorus and the Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay.
When choosing a new guitar pay attention to these following features:
- Body: Mahogany body.
- Neck: The guitar has a Wizard III Maple neck with Rosewood Fingerboard and Off-set dot inlays.
- Tuning system: It features the standard S series Tuning system with the Edge-Zero II Tremolo.
- Pick-ups: Two Quantum humbuckers, which provide an accelerated bass response, crushing mid-range and precise high-end articulation. These are useful for fast tracking of high-speed staccato riffing.
- Control knobs: It has the standard Volume/Tone in Cosmo black finish.
- Pick-up selector: A 3-way Pick-up selector.
- Output jack: It is located on the front side of the guitar body.
This Ibanez model is a lightweight guitar, with a fast thin neck, ideal for high-speed playing. The factory setup was alright, we only made some minor adjustments to the intonation and action.The location of the output jack can be annoying, as it can bother you when playing palm-muted riffs. The Edge-Zero II Tremolo with a lower profile and stud lock function, offers more comfort and stability when playing. You can bring it to a lot of live gigs, even without back-up, and you will have no problems with it. It’s a great guitar for beginners, as it is able to help improve your playing very fast.
The Ibanez S520 model comes in a spectacular Blackberry Sunburst finish, a quality one, it can last years of use and abuse.
Feel free to rate this guitar or leave a comment below.