Model: Ibanez Prestige RG 2550ZA – Mym (Mystic Night Metallic)
Music genre / Additional gear
This guitar seems solid, surely it will survive for decades. One of the big advantages of this guitar is it’s versatility. You can play stuff ranging from bluesy sounds to all forms of metal. We were really impressed by the factory setup, which made the whole thing plug and play. Even if it has two humbuckers, in combination with that mid single coil has a relatively bright sound so don’t be afraid to use the clean channel. We tested it with a Peavey 6505+ 112 60W 1×12″ Tube Combo Guitar Amp to obtain a good metal distortion (something like Van Halen, but more powerful). Along with the clean channel you can use some pedals like the Dunlop MXR M234 Analog Chorus and the Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay, for ballads and arpeggios.
When choosing a new guitar pay attention to these following features:
- Body: It has a basswood body, pretty heavy like most of the basswood shredding axes.
- Neck: It has the refined Wizard HP 5pc Maple/Walnut neck , with a Rosewood fingerboard which offers a better grip, feel and tone. This kind of neck is really great for the solo parts.
- Tuning system: It comes with the Edge-Zero tremolo bridge w/ZPS3, which uses the Ibanez innovations to keep string action constant and the bridge surface smooth. In conclusion you can smash this floyd system with a sledge hammer and it still stays in tune :D. For us it is the best floyd system from Ibanez until now.
- Pick-ups: The neck pick-up is a DiMarzio Air Norton. The middle one is a DiMarzio True Velvet. The bridge pick-up is a DiMarzio The Tone Zone. Great pick-ups, no need to ever change them with anything else!
- Control knobs: The usual RG series control knobs, 1 tone and 1 volume, nothing out of the ordinary, but they do their job well.
- Pick-up selector: The switching system is the same for all RG models with five positions. You can find any type of sound you like for the solos and the rhythm section. The 3/4 middle position is best suited for the clean channel. Give it a try like this!
- Output jack: The jack seems to be really solid, no problems with it.
This model is one of the best shredding guitar we have ever played. This new neck is incredible, it is fast, stable and thin. It really helps you with the fast solos.
This IBANEZ RG 2550z MYM (Mystic Night Metallic) looks wonderful. It has a finish which seems able to last a really long time. Those thunder inlays in the neck and the silver pick guard are a very good choice from the manufacturer.
Feel free to rate this guitar or leave a comment below.