Model: Ibanez Artstar SS300 Hollowbody – Dark Violin Sunburst
Music genre / Additional gear
Today we’re gonna review a very different guitar from the ones we usually play. The Ibanez Artstar represents the company’s affordable Jazz guitars line. We’ve played it acoustically for a bit, and this model delivers a bright tone, as expected, with lots of sustain. When plugged in, the woody tone receives a good high end with a decent amount of bottom end thump. We only played some jazzy and bluesy tunes through a DV Mark DV Jazz 12 45 Watt Combo, and it sounded quite clean. This model handles a very impressive Jazz tone which can go from a classic George Benson tone to a more modern sound.
When choosing a new guitar pay attention to these following features:
- Body: It has a Solid Spruce top with Flame Maple back/sides. The Spruce top allows the guitar to deliver its warm tone.
- Neck: Artstar 5pc Maple/Malnut set-in neck with a Bound Ebony fretboard with Acrylic & Abalone block inlay.
- Tuning system: It has some beautiful chromed tuning keys, with a Custom bridge pickupSure Grip III.
- Pick-ups: Two Super 58 (H) pick-ups (Passive/Alnico)
- Control knobs: It has a pair of golden tone and volume knobs, one for each pick-up.
- Pick-up selector: The guitar has a 3-way pick-up selector switch that handles the tonal options.
- Output jack: The jack is placed on the body side of the guitar and it holds the cable really firm.
The first thing noticeable about the SS 300’s handling is its highly comfortable neck. The Fretwork on this model is very well done, allowing an easy and satisfying experience. The shallow neck joint allows easy acces to the Upper Fret, for a pretty good tone in the upper register, although the best tone this model delivers is in the mid-range register, thanks to the solid top. The Art-W bridge is very useful when doing some palm muted notes.
In terms of looks the Ibanez Artstar SS300 is a remarcable instrument. The guitar has a Dark Violin Sunburst finish, well executed, which gives it a classy, vintage look. For sure all the Jazz lovers out there would appreciate this model.
Feel free to rate this guitar or leave a comment below.