Model: Gibson SG Standard 2016 T – Heritage Cherry
Music genre / Additional gear
This one is a very well known Gibson guitar, suited for almost every style of music you choose to play, from Led Zeppelin to Placebo this guitar is just amazing. It has a very rich sound on the clean channel and on the drive channel as well. We tested this guitar with a Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36 – 36 Watt Tube Head / Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 212 2×12″ Extension Cabinet and the results were impressive. You have no need for other effects, the guitar just does it all.
When choosing a new guitar pay attention to these following features:
- Body: It has a solid Mahogany body which provides an unique Gibson sustain.
- Neck: A Mahogany neck with SG Slim profile and a Rosewood fingerboard with pearl trapezoid inlays.
- Tuning system: It has the Gibson G Force Tuning System, the same as the Les Paul models. The advantage this system provides is that the incorporated tuner allows a good and simple user experience.
- Pick-ups: The guitar features the 57 Classic humbuckers, made from nickel plated steel. These provide a vintage humbucker tone with enhanced highs.
- Control knobs: It has the classic Gibson control knobs.
- Pick-up selector: The standard pick-up selector available in previous models.
- Output jack: It has an improved contact output jack, with multipoint connection, designed for better signal transfer.
The wider neck allows a very comfortable experience. We were able to do the hammer-ons, pull-offs and bends with ease. It felt slightly lighter than previous models so the stand-up playing feels improved, during live gigs. The upgraded fingerboard felt a lot smoother when doing my slides.
The Gibson SG Standard guitar is a very iconic one in terms of its looks. I first noticed this model while watching AC/DC’s performance at Donington Park, way back in ’91. That one had an ebony finish, however this particular cherry one is just gorgeous. The Les Paul 100th birthday signature on the head stock gives it a classy feel. This guitar looks and plays great, you really can’t go wrong with this model.
Feel free to rate this guitar or leave a comment below.