Model: Epiphone Les Paul Standard – Ebony
Music genre / Additional gear
With the Epiphone Les Paul Standard you get all the amazing features of a Gibson Les Paul for less money. It gives out a crisp sound when played clean and a chunky rock ‘n’ roll sound when played with distortion. However, you must be aware that the quality of the materials used is not the same as the Gibson Les Paul, so, you might feel compelled to upgrade it over time. The Peavey ValveKing II 50 Guitar Amplifier Combo is ideal for rehearseals and it complements this guitar really well. Additionally some analog effects as Moog MF Delay Minifooger Analog Delay Pedal and a Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus Pedal really improves the sound of this guitar.
When choosing a new guitar pay attention to these following features:
- Body: It comes with a mahogany body and a maple top, same as the big brother Gibson.
- Neck: It has a hand-set mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard and trapezoid inlays.
- Tuning system: This guitar has the 50 year old classic Tune-o-matic StopBar fully adjustable bridge. Although, the Grover tuners are pretty good, in time they could loosen so you could upgrade them with some Schaller Locking Tuning Machine Heads 3-per-side chrome.
- Pick-ups: A pair of Alnico Classic humbucker pickups deliver that warm, rich tone known the world over as the Les Paul Sound.
- Control knobs: It has the standard Epiphone control knobs.
- Pick-up selector: It has the classic 3-way pick-up selector that does its job well.
- Output jack: The jack is firm and steady.
The neck is pretty comfortable, even after playing for many hours and the most interesting part is that it stays in tune while playing either blues (many bends) or heavy metal (serious shredding). We didn’t encounter any problems with the electronic parts, up to this point. It’s a proper alternative for those who can not afford a Gibson Les Paul.
On this particular Ebony model the finish looks pretty cool and it seems like it’s built to last. With its black body, chromed pick-ups and bridge and the golden control knoobs it really stands out, either on stage or in your bedroom.
Feel free to rate this guitar or leave a comment below.